To know about what is ovarian cancer it is important to know what is ovary and where it is found. Ovary is a part of female reproductive system which produce ova and important female hormones which are Progesterone and estrogen. Ovary comes in a pair which have various abnormal cells when these abnormal cells grows it leads to ovarian cancer. Image below will help you to better understanding of the parts of female reproductive system.
What causes high risk of ovarian cancer?
- Being overweight
- Having Children later or never having full-term pregnancy
- Using Fertility treatment
- Taking Hormone therapy after menopause
- Having family history of ovarian cancer
- Smoking and Alcoholic Drinking Habits
- Having history of Breast Cancer etc.
Symptoms of Ovarian Cancer
In many cases Ovarian cancer doesn’t show any symptoms. Whereas, few of the symptoms are:
- Pain in the abdominal or pelvic region
- Bloating or change in bowel habits, indigestion or nausea
- Abdominal fullness, fluid in the abdomen or lump in the abdomen
- Cancer related fatigue
- Weight loss
- Loss of appetite. etc
Types of Ovarian Cancer
The ovary is made up of three types of cells. Tumours in different cells lead to 3 different types of Tumors. Following are the three different types of Ovarian Cancer:
- Epithelial tumors: These are the most common ovarian cancer The outer region is the most common to develop tumors is outside of the ovarian region.
- Stromal Tumors: These tumors develop in the hormone producing region.
- Germ tumors: These are the rare type of tumors and grow in the egg producing region
Ovarian cysts are non cancerous in nature. That’s why these are benign in nature. The cyst is collection of fluid and air which are found in or around the ovary. The cyst usually shows symptoms like bloating, not ovulating etc. It becomes a matter of concern if you stop ovulating. If so, you should visit your doctor.