The do’s and don’ts before and after cervical cancer surgery. It prepares you for what to do and what not to do before the surgery and after the surgery. We understand that it is very difficult to accept the fact that you are a cancer survivor. But you are not alone in this fight. You can get more knowledge of cervical cancer. There are a lot of things that you should know before and after cervical cancer surgery. So, it is important to know the do’s and don’ts before and after cervical cancer surgery
Do’s and Don’ts before cervical cancer surgery
Do’s and don’ts before cervical cancer surgery talks about whether you are ready for the surgery or not. And if you are ready then what are the things you should do or do not do before the surgery. So let’s talk about it.
Do’s before the cervical cancer surgery
Following are the things you should consider to do before the surgery:
- Know that if your body is ready for the cervical cancer surgery or not : Visit to your doctor and tell him how are you feeling and what are your problems. Based on it, he might ask you to perform several tests to know whether you are ready for the surgery or not. These tests might include : 1) Blood test. 2) ECG to check your heart beat. 3) Echocardiogram. 4) Breathing test. etc.
- Analyse the fact that whether the surgery is going to benefit you or not. : Your Doctor may tell you the benefits of the surgery and the possible risks associated with it.
- Do consult a physiotherapist 🙁 Learn more about how physiotherapy can help fight cancer ) Tell your physiotherapist about your surgery. Depending on which he will suggest you some physiotherapy session/ workout to improve your lifestyle.
- A day before surgery : A day or an evening before the surgery. Doctor/ nurse may give you carbohydrate rich drink to increase rate of recovery.
Don’ts before surgery
Don’t do the following things before cervical surgery:
- Rush for the surgery. Think critically whether you need the surgery or you would be fine without surgery
- Get panic before the surgery
- Forget to do the things your doctor has asked you to do.
Do’s and Don’ts after surgery
Now that the cervical surgery has done. You need to recover fast. To speed up the recovery after surgery, it is better to know the do’s and don’ts after the surgery.
Do’s after surgery
- Visit your doctor if you have pain in pelvic area or if you feel anything different in your body
- Schedule the follow up meeting post surgery with your team of consultants
- Go for regular check ups and diagnosis like PAP Test, Pelvic exam, DRE etc
- Ask your doctor about the diet after surgery and strictly stick on to it.
- Take your medicines on time
- Consult a physiotherapy for the exercise to do
Dont’s after Surgery
- Ignore the signs your body is giving you. Eg. Abnormal Vaginal discharge
- Do not lift heavy object neither do difficult work
- Don’t hurry with the sex. You can start thinking about sex at least after six weeks of surgery
- Forget to follow up with the doctor for regular check-ups
Source : https://www.cancerresearchuk.org